Monday, September 26, 2011

She Pulled an ABC...

I remember going to GMom and GPa's house one day (we actually went there many times... bonus of growing up 5 minutes from your grandparents!) and pulled out GMom and GPa's wedding album.  As long as I can remember, there's always been my GMom's bridal portrait hanging up in all of it's glory... think Grace Kelly in a totally gorgeous Priscilla of Boston gown and you're right on target.  In truth, Grace Kelly doesn't have much on her.  She was stunning (still is, by the way!). I've always loved her gown, but when it came time to get married it didn't work-- I'm not going to lie, I was bummed.  But I digress.  Back to the album...

I remember pulling out the album and seeing how young and cute my GPa was (my brother looks just like him!) and checking out all of my Great Aunts and Uncles decked out for the wedding!  There was one thing that was slightly odd about this gorgeous wedding album... it had green crayon all over it.  I can't remember if I asked what happened or eventually found out, but it turned out that my Aunt ABC had mistaken it for a coloring book when she was younger.  I can only imagine the berating she got at the time and made a mental note to keep crayons away from photo albums when I had kids.

As you can see from previous posts, Doodle definitely has an artistic flair.  A few weeks ago I was bragging chatting with a coworker about how much she loves to color and is generally good about keeping the crayon on the paper and not all over the house.  Luckily, she didn't {exactly} make a liar out of me...

She used a Sharpie!

I was helping my friend out with her Brother's wedding when I got this photo via text message:


Before we go any further with this story, let me clear up a few things...
A) Yes, she was alone with her Daddy when this happened, but it would have still happened if I was home. She plays quietly by herself all the time and her MO is going out the dog door when she's feeling mischievous (and we hear the click of the dog door when she goes through so we know when to get her), so this possibility would not have entered my mind.  Silly parents, Trix are for kids.
B) The only time she's colored on an inappropriate surface (besides missing the paper and going onto the table) was one swipe of a crayon across the back of the couch-- months ago --so I wouldn't have seen this coming.
C) I have no idea where the Sharpie came from... no open purses nearby and she can't reach my pen jar on my desk (I'm confident that she would have gone for the pink Sharpie if given the option)!

BUT... She did it.  Sharpie. all. over. the. kitchen.


Daddy managed to get it off of the floor and the glass of the stove.  He googled his dilemma and yesterday we tried non-gel toothpaste on one spot-- it didn't work so well.  I'll pick up some Goof Off today and we'll try that tonight. 

This Mama needs your help!...

Any recommendations on how to get Sharpie out of my gorgeous kitchen cabinets and oven?


P.S. I still love my sweet and innocent Sharpie... Unless I'm writing on really thin paper, I nearly always use a Sharpie. Through my obsession collection alone, I probably keep them in business!  I just need to make sure I keep them in a more secure place from now on!
P.P.S. What have your kids gotten into? My friend's kids did the same with diaper cream and vapor rub...
P.P.S.S. I'm really not angry with her and am chalking this up to one of those parental rites of passage... it could have been a lot worse and at least she was trying to make the house a prettier place with her artwork! :)

UPDATE: The Magic Eraser worked on the cabinets!! {Woo Hoo!}

3 comments:

LBC said...

okay, the pictures totally make the story, much more dramatic than saying "she colored with Sharpie all over the kitchen"! the Desitin and Vick's is all I can remember, the Desitin is still ground into our recliner fabric and the Vick's took weeks to get out of his hair. plus calls to poison control both times because we had no idea how much he had ingested. good luck on the removal- have you tried a Mr. Clean eraser?

CaitC said...

I don't know if this would work on wood, but on dry erase boards you can go over it with a dry erase marker and it comes off. Otherwise I know Goof Off would get it off, but it might take some of the finish on the cabinets off too, so test it in a unseen spot first.

CaitC said...

I asked around and someone else said WD40.... I don't know the reasoning behind it but I thought Id throw it out there