I just stumbled upon an insanely timely reprinting of Glamour's "Thirty Things a
Woman Should Have and Should Know By The Time She's 30." Seeing as I turn thirty in a mere 27 hours, let's see how I'm doing...
By 30, you should have...
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
(RR: While I can imagine going back to exes, the thought conjures negative images... I definitely have one who reminds me of how far I've come and am happy with that!)
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
(RR: New leather couches... Check!)
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
(RR: Check! It may have taken me until recently to feel like I have a complete wardrobe (minus jeans, they are the bane of my existence), but I'm happy I'm there now!)
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
(RR: I'm not 100% sold that I have to be 100% grown up, but happy and content with moving on to "my next 30 years")
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
(RR: Not nearly as juicy as most, but there are stories I will look forward to sharing!)
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.
(RR: Working on it... Not 100% there yet!)
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.
(RR: Check... Took anything remotely associated with "padding" out a few years ago!)
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.
(RR: Check... And VERY thankful for them!)
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.
(RR: Sadly no black lace bra... Will try to remedy this one in the next day!)
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.
(RR: I guess this is where my custom Louis Vuitton comes in... Check!)
13. The belief that you deserve it.
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
(RR: Need to work on exercise... Have to get RA under control first!)
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.
(RR: Start?! I'm there! And very lucky/grateful/thankful for everything I have!)
By 30, you should know...
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.
(RR: Check! Thanks, Hubby:))
2. How you feel about having kids.
(RR: I think the two year old across the hall answers this one... I love my kid!)
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.
(RR: I do my best to do these... Sometimes better at it than others.)
4. When to try harder and when to walk away.
(RR: Can I have until 35 or 40 for this one?! If you look for the definition of 'beating a dead horse,' sadly my photo is right there.)
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.
(RR: I think so... Check with Hubby! ;))
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.
(RR: Check! And all great women!)
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.
(RR: It's been a while, but I can do it!)
8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.
(RR: I wish Vinalhaven wasn't so far away... Talk about soul soothing! I dive into books and snuggle up in bed... That's my happy place!)
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.
(RR: Parents are great... Legs and hips are another story! I'm getting there, though!)
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.
(RR: It was wonderful... Perfect for me because it made me who I am... And okay with it being over because I'm reliving it with my daughter!)
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.
(RR: Just remembered that I need to floss... ;) Luckily I've never smoked or doe drugs... And it's been a long time since I've had a drink!)
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.
(RR: Working on not taking it personally... Have gotten A LOT better, but not 100% there.)
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.
(RR: Same as the last one... Working on it! I don't know if it's a female thing or what, but I need to stop!)
15. Why they say life begins at 30
What's on your personal list of things to have and know -- and possibly do -- before turning 30?
RR: Life began long ago... It didn't wait until I turned 30! I certainly didn't have a bucket list, but my grown up purse and new car certainly make me feel " like I've reached a milestone! Is that odd-- that two purchases make me feel more "grown up" than crossing off a date on my calendar?!
I'm just so very grateful that I'm hitting this milestone and have such a wonderful life... I'm not being smug-- there are quite a few "downs" to go with the "ups," but I'm grateful for all of it. This is definitely something I've learned since 25... Being grateful for what I have - the big and small things - and keeping my focus on that (being grateful) rather than looking at what other people have and wanting their lives. I'm thankful that my Hubby introduced me to this point of view a few years ago and has helped keep it in perspective!
Life is good and I'm grateful it is!
(Side note: Ten minutes left in this Game 7... They need to make this happen! #Caps)